permaculture - [permaculture] The Hidden Hand

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jara" <jara@otenet.gr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Hidden Hand
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:02:07 +0300

Dear Gregory,

I agree that this thread is fascinating. I believe living without money is doable and know people who do indeed live without money. There is no sacrifice in how they live either. They are most comfortable. So I disagree that all those that have tried it have failed. I believe the buck stops (excuse the pun) with each and every one of us individually. We can reduce our levels of consumption. We can prosume, especially us permaculturalists. If we also just give away our surplus freely to those around us that need it then amazingly there is a hidden hand (a very different one from the one Adam Smith talked about) or an organizing principle which provides us with the needs that we can not provide for ourselves.

Yours,

Andrew.

From: Gregory Konger <gjkonger@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Educating about money

I found this thread very interesting. As for my personal feelings, I would love not having money. If I didn't have money, I wouldn't need to remember to take it with me everywhere I go, and I wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing it. It would be nice if I was stranded somewhere without money that there would be a place where I could get shelter and food without walking several miles. I find money to be sorry excuse for people not to be kind to one another. I would love a system in which we shared everything in common so that we can reduce the amount of pollution we create by the way we personally stockpile worldly possessions. Of course getting to that point is the hard part since everyone who had tried has failed, but I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Greg K.