permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Hidden Hand -> brainstorming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Hidden Hand -> brainstorming
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:21:43 -0700 (PDT)

There is already a group discussion on this topic,
having been known as "Land and People" in some
threads. Here in the NYC area, Green Phoenix has been
working diligently as a model for other bioregions to
duplicate, with the PALS network (derived from the
"Land and People" thread) connecting the bioregions in
terms of idea sharing. As mentioned previously, Green
Phoenix follows the Henry George view of economics
(owning land is like owning air and water; except
withholding air thankfully draws a murder charge, at
least occasionally).

Our model is to do outreach via permaculture and
sustainability classes and fund raise via sustainable
business development. With our pool of emerging land
stewards and funds from donations and our
participating businesses, we will purchase land for
ecovillages and buildings for urban groups. Green
Phoenix will act as the CLT for these imagined
"properties". To be clear, Green Phoenix will only
hold the token for the land (imaginary property), not
for the actual property built on the land; this has
nothing to do with a money discussion, which is how
some individuals take it. Not fully discussed is what
to do about a village of land stewards who are
intentionally out of compliance with a pre-arranged
sustainable land use plan (just wanted a home and
didn't really care about the land).

Our land stewards will use permaculture to increase
the biodiversity of the land we hold for them as a
CLT, but they occupy. Green Phoenix will be the
external entity exposed to the "system", while the
land stewards can work to secure their self-reliance
off the grid. It will be the mission of Green Phoenix
to secure people's freedom from the grid. With many
villages and agreements for mobility between them,
more folks will be able to make the leap, as if
leaping from a fire (hence Green Phoenix).

According to the way Henry George's concepts work, our
removal of "low" and "middle" income laborers will
help push, via supply and demand, wage wealth up at
the expense of rent wealth (not our modern definition
of rent, please see "Progress and Poverty" for the
definition intended here). As we keep pulling
laborers out of the grid, pressuring wages up, we
attack it from two directions: the abandonment many of
us are already attempting and rent destabilization,
which is how the grid manages control (wage wealth and
rent wealth are inversely related; interest wealth, or
the increased value from applying labor to land,
tracks with wage wealth). This attack is subtle.
"Reducing the burdens of government" would be a
legitimate charitable pursuit. So this plan, by
pulling people out of the grid, is a charitable
pursuit worthy and attractive to "wealthy" individuals
looking for a feel good. Contemporary economists
reject Henry Georges ideas, so won't believe it can
work. These same people will be excited by the
perceived ensuing tax benefits from what they hope to
be a reduction in welfare costs; slackers will likely
stay behind to sap the system.

The more land we rescue, the more people we can pull
out of the fire. The question is what the critical
point will be for labor wealth collapse within the
grid. The land stewards outside the grid will need to
maintain traditional economic activity, not as a
dependence, but more like a video game. This is
important, as the grid may otherwise fight back before
we are ready to pull the plug on it. Where to explore
strategically how to distract the cronies, while this
happens and setting up appropriate businesses will be
the part I haven't yet thought as much about as the
rest. This would have to be catered to each
bioregion, so as to not stand out in terms of local
fashions, customs, sensibilities, resources, etc.

Generally, it would make sense to encourage local
groups to organize into tribes of a sort. These
tribes would essentially be a purchase and investment
club. The goals of any tribe would be a mutual
financial security, which includes an eventual common
property purchase and development to secure themselves
from the effects of rent wealth. Urban groups would
pool to purchase apartment buildings and become an
expanded CSA consumer (go beyond food from the farm
and supply labor to a small economy with a farm).
Rural groups would develop a property to be the
farming part of the urban and rural connection. The
city provides cooperative style labor (local
currency), while the rural arm provides natural
resources for the urban masses to apply themselves.

Just brainstorming, take it easy on me. My interest
is perfecting these ideas, not debating them.

-Sean.

-Sean.