permaculture - Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:08:07 -0600

You seem to be thinking outside the box (literally "box") there, and IMHO
that's what we desperately need. I can't see making the concrete jungle
sustainable. You mentioned "those fortunate enough to get to the country
side" but I'd make it "determined enough". And "We need, in effect, to learn
to cage ourselves into our own little zoo, otherwise known as cities". I
don't follow the reasoning there. It seems to contradict permaculture
completely. Small town America has been decimated for decades by the flight
to the city; rural economies have suffered; and there's more than enough room
(and work) in small town America for all who want to flee the concrete
jungle. If we can't see that, it's because our mind is still stuck in the
city. My belief is the world could practice permaculture and feed itself and
live in harmony if socioeconomic institutions and concentration of wealth and
power didn't control most of the world. Let's keep thinking outside the box.

paul@largocreekfarms.com