permaculture - [permaculture] the harder you work, the behinder you get/ was self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] the harder you work, the behinder you get/ was self-sufficiency
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:23:38 -0600

Yes. The idea of more self-sufficiency and less reliance on the System is
more a practical matter of self defense than idealism. I'm reminded of the
line, the harder you work, the behinder you get. Two and three job families
sinking deeper in debt make my point. Today personal bankruptcies are at an
all time high and consumer credit is maxed out. It's now common for college
grads to hunt for any kind of work, with thousands of dollars in credit to
pay off. People count on the government-run economy to create jobs, but
it's losing jobs on a massive scale. The unemployment numbers don't even
include millions who have run out of unemployment benefits or have given up
looking for jobs.

What's happening is, we live inside a commercial machine designed to work us
at the lowest possible cost and advertise us into buying (on credit)
everything that makes money for the corporate machine. Consumers and
producers of basic foods are caught in the cost-price squeeze of corporate
agribusiness and distribution. The cost of Shelter, clothing, entertainment,
utilities, and transportation are decided not by the lowly buyer but by the
corporate behemoths behind mortage financing and credit, real estate
inflation, housing codes and zoning, materials, energy transmission, roads,
highways, and vehicles. Interest alone can be 2/3 the final cost of a house.
Actual materials and labor may be 10%, excluding land.

Yet getting out of the high priced city or suburb and finding lower paying
self employment in the boonies (make your own job) may just about even out
financially. Buying cheap and fixing up without mortgage interest saves big
time. So does driving less by working closer to home. So does producing
more of what we need for food and daily living, and swapping with others
locally. Familes on welfare and commodities need to go where living is
cheaper and they have room to grow more healthy food at home. Youngsters and
oldsters alike can live better in rural areas. If you think they can't find
work in rural areas, have they seen what job hunting is like in the city? I
see lots of talk about not finding affordable housing in most big cities. But
rural America has been decimated for decades and a lot of homes are standing
empty, land unfarmed and idle.

The barrier to more self-sufficiency is in our heads. We think job
applications, credit applications, resumes, more "education". We fall into
the trap with a hundred million others. Getting out is the ultimate
educational experience. Getting more control over our own costs and needs is
the idea.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net