permaculture - Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:37:48 -0600

Yes, Manhattanites have a smaller footprint than average Americans, but Owen
ignores all their ecological costs outside of dwellings and transportation.
Individuals have smaller apartments etc., but the ecological costs of
building and maintaining those places inside the dense city is not counted.
The ecological costs of all they consume, food included, is not counted, and
there's no reason to expect they consume less by being in Manhattan.

My impression is rural people survived better than city people in the
Depression. My own family experience bears that out, according to my parents'
generation. When things get really nasty out there again, I suspect the
farmer won't have to look far to sell food.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net