permaculture - Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Deborah" <dtv13@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:55:58 -0500

Small town America has been decimated for decades by the flight to the city;
rural economies have suffered; and there's more than enough room (and work)
in small town America for all who want to flee the concrete jungle.
***

This is so true. I was appalled by how many people in rural north Tx commute
an hour or longer to there jobs because they desire to live rurally and there
is no work. Even more frustrating is what is happening with real estate and
taxes. Despite the economic devastation, real estate is still extremely high.
The county my mom lives in- very economically depressed- has raised the
market value of her homestead (1.4 ac and a 900 sf homemade cabin and a few
outbuildings) from $21000 to $75000 over a two year period. In a town where
the average wage is $6/hr. What I notice is that the town is physically
deteriorating. People can't afford to repair, paint, etc and it just looks
like a shanty town. At the tax protest I was observing the case before mine
and a 74 yr old resident was arguing that his property wasn't worth $30000.
When they projected a photo for all to see there was an uproar in the
audience. The old timer asked the board if anyone was interested in
purchasing it, cause he'd sure like to sell it for that. The house looked
like it could fall over any minute, not even fit for a chicken coop. (Not his
residence) The market value stood, and several jokes were made at his
expense, which were muttered low enough that he couldn't hear.
My concern is the increasing cost of real estate. I have participated in 5 or
6 groups attempting to create co-housing or community. They fall apart due to
expense and distance to work. It's been very frustrating.
Deborah