permaculture - Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web/ was question aboutPCDcourseprices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul Park" <parkplace@kootenay.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] It's free on the web/ was question aboutPCDcourseprices
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:11:19 -0700

I forget what I paid for my PC Design course, but it wasn't much (for me
anyway) and it was well worth it. Before I went, I read a borrowed copy of
the PC Design Manual and I read several other perm books, but I wanted to
see permaculture in action. I don't know how the instructor broke down the
cost or what he paid for our great lunches or whether he paid the people who
shared their thoughts with us and welcomed us into their homes and gardens
and communities and farms. I did note that Gregoire, the gentle soul who
put on the course, lives a simple life, and I know that where he farms in
British Columbia, he must pay taxes (cash money) if he wants to stay on the
land where he lives.

The course participants ranged from students, to young, alternative livers,
to middle-aged city dwellers with mainstream jobs. All managed to find the
few hundred canadian pesos it took for the course ( I realize there are many
people in the world who would not have been able to raise this money). For
me coming from a mainstream, taker background, the course was a key step on
my path to living a peaceful, gentle life. I believe I could have found out
all of the information, without spending money, by finding others with
knowledge I don't have and sharing ideas or work or whatever, but where I
was at the time, that wasn't going to happen, and a formal course for a
small fee was perfect for me.

Over the two weeks, we shared many meals (and the cleanup)...we talked,
sweated, laughed and sang together....and I, at least, caught glimpses of
the world that can be...and I am grateful for the experience.

peace

Paul