permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculturing the mainstream

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculturing the mainstream
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Regarding TAFE, it will be interesting to see if it assumes the bulk of
> teaching work in permaculture and if the present community-based
> providers remain competitive.

Hmmm, so is that funtionally equivalent to tossing out the "cooperation
instead of competition" philosophy?

> It is too early to tell so it will be
> interesting to watch. In this respect it is interesting to note that in
> Sydney, where PDCs were offered by a couple community-based training
> providers, after TAFE started to offer the course nobody from the
> community sector has found it realistic to offer the PDC.

Sounds like you've answered the question for Sydney. Is TAFE planning to
"share the surplus?" What happens for those former PDC providers? "Sorry
mate, that's how 'the system' (e.g. 'the mainstream') works, you're not
competitive any more?"

I'd rather permaculture 'the mainstream' (which IMO is a dangerously
mythical over-generalization anyhow) than mainstream permaculture.

That's how I take Holmgren's comments on planners, architects, doctors,
managers, etc. etc. who think permaculturally.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration