permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mainstreaming permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel.Donahoo@dhs.vic.gov.au
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mainstreaming permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:01:38 +1000

Russ wrote:

>>>My understanding of the proposed accredited courses is that they will
offer qualifications in horticulure/ permaculture - PIL may correct me
if I am wrong. This will work to place graduates in land management
positions, however I know from my work as a community garden advocate
that the people who have made real incursions into communities are not
horticulturists but are community workers. It is contact with these
people, plus my own work, that has led me to propose that permaculture
is suitable as a community development strategy rather than as a form
or horticulture.

i don't know PIL's idea of how the Certificates and Diploma intend to work.
i think the exciting thing is watching what will happen. i would agree with
russ on the community development ideas. permaculture is not really about
gardening and growing food - though that is a focus - but about systems
design and management. the principles and ethics presented in texts and at
courses are about permaculture as an approach to designing sustainable
culture, systems, societies, communities - whatever you want to call it.

The TAFE (Tertiary and Further Education) sector stands apart from the
hierarchical and institutionalised university sector - though there are
interlinking relationships - and is used quite extensively by the public as
a place to practically diversify skills and knowledge. This is where a
Diploma or Certificate from TAFE would work to complement the work of
community development workers, or architects, or policy advisors, or
support workers and carers, or planners...etc... permaculture will provide
a perspective - a framework in which these professionals can all operate -
and this is exciting, and this is where permaculture can help make a
vibrant and significant impact...because as well as delivering a range of
new ideas to others - everyone who comes in contact with permaculture will
bring something new.

permaculture is about bottom up solutions and i can see many possibilities
for it to be used as a tool at the level of local government and let its
principles help guide local communities in decision making.

while permaculture may not have made major impacts, let us not under-rate
the impact it has had in a very short period of time. the fact that David
Holmgren has received airtime on JJJ and National ABC radio is significant.
the fact that the Australian National Training Authority is identifying
permaculture through including it in a National Training Framework is
significant. the growth of the organic industry and the role permaculture
plays in aspects of this globally is significant.
yes there is a lot of work to be done and it needs to be driven by
passionate people who know how to operate in the current social and
political climate - but, you still should take time to be impressed.

cheers

dan d

daniel is contactable most of the time on:
5430-2373 or,
daniel.donahoo@dhs.vic.gov.au

This email contains confidential information intended only for the person
named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is
prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is
free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you
have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its
transmission, please notify Postmaster@dhs.vic.gov.au