permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculturing the mainstream

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ERDA Institute <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: "john@eco-living.net, permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculturing the mainstream
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:25:59 +1000

We are anticipating that private Pc trainers should be able to provide APT
(Accredited Permaculture Training) at comparative costs to TAFE. Students
will be able to access the same forms of government funding/subsidy for an
independently delivered APT course as they do with TAFE courses (e.g.
training credits from Centrelink).
It's still early days in terms of developing delivery strategies and budgets
and the team is committed to making sure it opens new opportunities for
accredited training outside of the TAFE system. It's really a matter of pc
teachers getting organised to deliver.
APT presents an opportunity to get a 'bioregional campus' of pc trainers,
practitioners and qualified assessors together to offer students exciting
new ways to train beyond the classroom, in ways TAFE could never imagine.

When TAFE delivers one of these courses an amount ($$) will go to PIL as the
owner of the course, so there will be something coming back to the pc
community.

The important thing with APT is that is designed and owned by permaculture,
a condition of approval is that it under annual review by the permaculture
'industry', i.e. practitioners as well as teachers. Even though it may be
delivered in mainstream institutions like TAFE and high schools it is driven
by permaculture grassroots through PIL membership and participation. That in
my mind represents a quantum leap in permaculturing the mainstream.

Robyn Francis