permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mainstreaming permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mainstreaming permaculture
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:02:51 +1000

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 02:01 PM, Daniel.Donahoo@dhs.vic.gov.au wrote:
Russ wrote:
I know from my work as a community garden advocate
that the people who have made real incursions into communities are not
horticulturists but are community workers. It is contact with these
people, plus my own work, that has led me to propose that permaculture
is suitable as a community development strategy rather than as a form
or horticulture.
i don't know PIL's idea of how the Certificates and Diploma intend to work.
i think the exciting thing is watching what will happen. i would agree with
russ on the community development ideas. permaculture is not really about
gardening and growing food - though that is a focus - but about systems
design and management.

This is where a
Diploma or Certificate from TAFE would work to complement the work of
community development workers, or architects, or policy advisors, or
support workers and carers, or planners...etc... permaculture will provide
a perspective - a framework in which these professionals can all operate -
and this is exciting, and this is where permaculture can help make a
vibrant and significant impact...

Too true Daniel. The value lies in the "framework" you describe.

Regarding TAFE, it will be interesting to see if it assumes the bulk of teaching work in permaculture and if the present community-based providers remain competitive. It is too early to tell so it will be interesting to watch. In this respect it is interesting to note that in Sydney, where PDCs were offered by a couple community-based training providers, after TAFE started to offer the course nobody from the community sector has found it realistic to offer the PDC. I think this has to do with market dominance - TAFE has credibility as a training provider and has extensive publicity reach.

permaculture is about bottom up solutions and i can see many possibilities
for it to be used as a tool at the level of local government and let its
principles help guide local communities in decision making.

I agree about local government. I have had dealings with it as coordinator of the community gardens network and in other roles in this state and see opportunities.

You state:
"yes there is a lot of work to be done and it needs to be driven by
passionate people who know how to operate in the current social and
political climate"

That is a key to interacting successfully with local government. Knowing how to operate will get you far. Someone once said that naivety can get you far. In my experience, an appearance of naivety merely succeeds in getting you labeled as an amateur. I really think it worthwhile that permaculture people consider standing for election to local government. Your final sentence implies political savvy and I agree that this is desirable.

The proposed permaculture accreditation would sit nicely with the training of people as ESD (ecologically sustainable development) managers, environmental, social and cultural planners presently employed in local government - plus, of course, elected councillors.

the fact that David
Holmgren has received airtime on JJJ and National ABC radio is significant.

I think the coverage is good but I doubt whether it is significant. A number of us have made appearances on ABC radio and TV and others have had their projects covered in the press. For this to be significant it has to be repeated fairly consistently over time. Then it will start to adhere to the public imagination. Single appearances in the media do not necessarily count for much and although on occasion they raise interest, you might find that the amount of interest residual after a little time has passed may be small.

Single appearances may elicit the responses "Oh, that's interesting!" among an audience but it can quickly become submerged under the weight of other programming. Those ABC radio programmes have a prodigious appetite for content, as do similar TV programmes.

Russ Grayson
Media services: journalism-print/ online/ photo
pacedge@magna.com.au Phone/ fax: 02 9588 6931
PO Box 446 Kogarah NSW 2217 Australia