permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Waving not Drowning

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Waving not Drowning
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> As a Nepalese friend suggested, they could work in their own countries.
> But that doesn't happen to any great extent. Why? I think it is to do
> with perceptions, specifically the perception that people in developing
> countries are 'more needy'

Plenty of neediness here in the good old USA. We don't want to see it,
for the same reason an alcoholic denies they have a drinking problem, etc.
So looking for 'problems' in other places helps support the denial.

> and because the supply of such services in
> developed countries has been professionalised. That is, you need a
> university degree or similar to do community development as a
> livelihood or in a structured way. There is always voluntary work with
> community-based organisations, of course, and I encourage such
> involvement. However, the impact they have is not always great because
> of limitations to funding and organisational capacity and because of
> lack of higher-level skills among voluteers.

Mostly not much effect because the ability for them to accomplish anything
'real' through 'normal' (often meaning 'legal') channels is controlled by
the "professionals." If the "professionals" don't support it, it's a lot
less likely to happen (by peaceful means, anyhow). Even (or perhaps
especially) when the skill levels and/or organizational capacities of the
volunteers are higher than the "professionals."

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration