permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Well, no, if there's not enough people there, they will move elsewhere.
> It's a major problem with country towns in Australia. I'm guessing at
> what "social viability" is, by the way.

I meant inviting genetic material from elsewhere to expand their pool.
Strictly their choice of course.

>> For whom, when?
>
> The Colonial Powers you refer to.

That's *a* reality, to be sure, but not one I much care to support.
There's already enough people backing them, actively or passively as the
case may be.

> Take your snide assertions and place them where your understanding of
> geopolitics is, thanks.

They're already there. I understand the geopolitics - that doesn't mean I
have to like them, or cease to desire alternatives.

I simply have no patience with people who say "I support that 100%, and
it's never going to happen."

For me those are contradictory statements. If I support something, I take
action on that, or at least refrain from acting against it. When I say
"it ain't gonna happen" I'm taking action against it happening. YMMV,
though not IMO.

> I think that the colonial powers should make full and just reparations.
> But I can't see how it is going to happen without massive, world-wide,
> universal action. This, and slavery, has already been brought up at
> that UN racism conference and was totally rejected by the colonial
> powers.

So those of us who would like to see it happen can keep working on it.
Who is it that says "...of course it is impossible, so it will take
longer" - That's more or less my attitude.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration