permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:15:24 +1000

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 08:19 AM, John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,
This discourse has seen the questioning of the economic and social
viability of some Pacific island states. Some commentators believe that
smaller island states do not have the capacity to remain viable.

For whom, when?

For whom?: For people living within them.

I was talking about the capacity to function as effective, self-governing entities providing medical, educational, security and other essential services.

When?: At the present time in the:

1. Solomon Islands (where the national government will probably vote tomorrow to invite in a military-supported, mixed police force of Australians, New Zealanders and other Pacific islanders for peace enforcement to create the situation in which civil society can implement its agenda to end the crime and violence).

2. PNG, where crime has been described by local people as the greatest impediment to development (this includes the development of communities).

And "social viability?" What the bloozargloth is *that* supposed to mean?

bloozargloth
An Americanism previously unheard.

Social viability: a situation in which the activities of communities contribute to the continence of a society and the wellbeing of a people and their institutions. This implies the ability of individuals and communities to function free of ethnic or other conflict and free of the coercive influence of militias that threaten the wellbeing of the population and the coherence of communities. A socially viable society is one which is resilient to external and internal pressures and provides the needs of those living within it.

This is a hoot, except that it's also very sad.

Tell me what is sad about people being free from violence and having access to essential services such as medical and educational services (both of which have virtually ceased in the Solomon Islands due to the internal security situation)?

We colonial powers just can't get over ourselves!

So who is a colonial power? What colonies does Australia have? The only external territory Australia administered was PNG and they hurried that country towards independence in 1975 at a pace that even some who lived there say was too fast to properly get systems in order.

We go in and impose all manner of unsustainable shiznit on these folks (who oftentimes gladly accept, but that's not an excuse for us doing it).

I understand what you are getting at, but why don't "these folks" have the right to choose what they want? And if "we" don't do it, then someone else will. If Australia fails to provide assistance to the Solomons, for instance, others, such as Taiwan which wanted to use one of the islands as an industrial waste dump, will move in. At least in Australia there are enough people and organisations that keep a watching brief on what goes on and that will hassle the government and business on damaging practices.

Then when the shiznit hits the fan for the locals (or maybe just for the colonials' extraction of wealth)

So foreign businesses are the colonials? For the Solomons that means the Malaysian logging companies ripping off the timber. Before the coup and conflict, your definition could have included the Goldridge gold mine (Australian-Solomon Islands partnership) and the Japanese tuna fishers but they ceased operation when the ethnic violence broke out.

the colonials moan about "viability" - what a crock! The masters' systems aren't viable either - it just takes longer to show up on a continental scale. Islands are really good that way...

I think we have different definitions of 'viable'. The context, mentioned in my original email that referred to the discussion of Pacific affairs currently underway in Australia, was used in the context of social cohesion.

The alternative is further reliance on the foreign aid of countries like Australia and New
Zealand and/ or the devolution of power to armed groups such as
happened in the Solomons and, to a limited extent, in PNG.

How about another alternative (there's always an infinite number)

Like? Where is this "infinite number" in small South Pacific island states?

- the colonial powers make full and just reparations for the damage they've done

The colonial power in the Solomons was the UK until 1973. In PNG it was Australia until 1975. Now, the bulk of Australian aid goes to PNG. If Africa, then the Arabs have a lot to answer for.

which may include ongoing support for the locals to rebuild regenerative and sustainable systems for self-sufficiency

Some don't want self-sufficiency but a fair price for their coffee and other products on the world market and access to markets in countries that espouse free trade but, hypocritically, put up barriers to the importation of commodities, such as the US (due to lobbying by American farmers) and the EU.

I acknowledge the value of self-reliance, however many people in the Pacific have other aspirations. When well-meaning people from modernised countries try to point out the value of self-reliance they areaccused of denying local people the 'benefits' of modernisation.

The challenge is to encourage regional and local self-reliance as well as finding niches through which aspirations for global participation can be achieved. A number of Australian NGO attempts to do this.

regenerative and sustainable systems for self-sufficiency (like some of them had for thousands of years until we showed up).

Does this include intertribal warfare, raiding and cannibalism that only ended with the arrival of Europeans?

And other than that, colonials get the heck *out* of there.

Many would like to see the 'colonial' Malaysian loggers depart the Solomons.

Screw the 'foreign aid' pity crap - this isn't charity, we *owe* big-time. At least in terms of people care and distribution of surplus.

Foreign aid as practiced by many (Australian) NGOs is certainly not "charity" and is not motivated by "pity". The NGOs I have worked with facilitate self-help. Their programmes rely on local initiative and the acquisition of skills by local people. This has worked.

Russ Grayson
Media services: journalism-print/ online/ photo
pacedge@magna.com.au Phone/ fax: 02 9588 6931
PO Box 446 Kogarah NSW 2217 Australia