permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture on Pitcairn
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Tourism seems an obvious industry but access to Pitcairn would have to
> be addressed and unique natural and cultural assets identified that
> could be exploited.

How about 'appreicated'?

And I would support implementation of James Stark's concept of
'BIO-tourism' - BIO stands for 'By Invitation Only'. That is, the locals
and not outsider travel conglomerates control who/when/how many visitors
there are. Then if they choose to trash the place via tourism at least
they can't blame it on others.

> This discourse has seen the questioning of the economic and social
> viability of some Pacific island states. Some commentators believe that
> smaller island states do not have the capacity to remain viable.

For whom, when? And "social viability?" What the bloozargloth is *that*
supposed to mean?

This is a hoot, except that it's also very sad. We colonial powers just
can't get over ourselves! We go in and impose all manner of unsustainable
shiznit on these folks (who oftentimes gladly accept, but that's not an
excuse for us doing it).

Then when the shiznit hits the fan for the locals (or maybe just for the
colonials' extraction of wealth), the colonials moan about "viability" -
what a crock! The masters' systems aren't viable either - it just takes
longer to show up on a continental scale.

Islands are really good that way...

This "lack of viability" is a huge and valuable lesson in what won't work
that's being ignored by those who set in motion what won't work.

> The alternative is
> further reliance on the foreign aid of countries like Australia and New
> Zealand and/ or the devolution of power to armed groups such as
> happened in the Solomons and, to a limited extent, in PNG.

How about another alternative (there's always an infinite number) - the
colonial powers make full and just reparations for the damage they've
done, which may include ongoing support for the locals to rebuild
regenerative and sustainable systems for self-sufficiency (like some of
them had for thousands of years until we showed up). And other than that,
colonials get the heck *out* of there. Screw the 'foreign aid' pity crap
- this isn't charity, we *owe* big-time. At least in terms of people care
and distribution of surplus.

*Then* if the locals still want to play 'global economy suicide' they can
at least start out with a foot to stand on.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration