permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Software suggestions for users of this list.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Software suggestions for users of this list.
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:24:24 -0700

Richard Morris wrote:

For spam mail catching I'm using SpamAssassin
http://spamassassin.org/. Its catching about 30-40 spams
a day. Getting about one false positive a week but
letting through about 5 spams a day.

I use it on a linux account which filters the mail
before I need to download it to my home computer
through a dial up connection. Hence its saving me a lot
of time downloading spam messages.

I'm also using procmail to do a few other things.
1) Catch big messages > 50K
and saves them on in a folder
on my linux account. Many of these are
virus. A notification of the arrival of big
messages is sent to my home computer.
2) autoreply to the first message I receive
from a person.
3) Deletes audio/x-wav and audio/x-midi messages
(often viruses)
4) Implement a white list of people I know.
5) Implement a black list of persistent spammers.

Rich

Procmail is invlauable if you are able to create effective recipes, not to
difficult
for simple mail filtering and post processing.

p.s. out of interest how many spams are others on the
list receiving?

I receive about 6000 or more a month in my Linux account on ibiblio. I just
delete the entire
default mbox procmail dumps everyting left over after filtering into.

My ISP pre-filters spam email for me and its user configurablefor more/less
severe filtering.
Mozilla email also has a spam filtering engine that you can train to
intercept preidentified
spam types, done as you use its junk mail flag to mark examples of spam for
its database;
the icon for that says: "click to sort by junk status".

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net