permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jeff owens <jko@save-net.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen argument
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:41:32 -0700

> > why are we all still looking for the quick fix? the one solution to all
> > our problems?
> > surely if permaculture teachs anything it is that complex systems require
> > complex management and that there is no one quick fix

There is one simple fact that most of us want to ignore. We are very
inept at conserving energy. With a little conservation our immediate
energy problems go away.

This has nothing to do with quality of life, finding new energy sources,
or new technology. We can prove this to ourselves by looking at an
individuals energy needs and the alternatives. Almost all of our energy
use can be slashed by 80% with a little work.

For example: Housing is a tragedy. Our houses waste most of the energy.
Some of my friends have energy efficient houses and try to argue. But,
they have trouble with the fact that their heating bill is 5 times ours. They
don't think earth berming and passive solar is doable on a large scale. Even
given the facts and examples.

Passive solar heating of water or for cooking is very inexpensive and
has great potential. How many people actually utilize passive solar heating?

Transportation is another big energy waster. Our trucking and travel is
excessive and many other options exist. This is mostly an attitude problem
where thinking local would bring back community and improve our quality
of life. Do we really need to fly somewhere or drive to distant shopping?

Our electricity systems are big users of energy and a lot of that energy is
lost in the transmition and conversion. Homepower makes more sense
in the long run.

Another great way to save energy is to dress for the season. Dump those
commercial pressures to follow fashon. In winter we can laugh at the
cold and in summer we can protect ourselves from the sun. The incidence
of skin cancer has become a major problem and few people take it seriously.

On and on...

OK, so at this point we usually hear the argument that "we have to live in
the real world and people will not do conservation". All these ideas will not
work unless you get people to cooperate.

And that points out the real problem. Attitude, information, self
interest. We are the problem. It isn't lack of energy, or inefficient
technology, or whatever. This is the "culture" part of Permaculture.
We are not very good at doing "culture".

Whats the solution? I think we need to start with language. Culture is
spread to a large extent by language and our language is full of bias.
It supports the current culture and all the conflicts we are plagued with.
By restricting our use of labels, advertising, and various propaganda
techniques the whole culture would start to shift. For example:
What is an environmentalist? It is a label and has many meanings.
To many people it means: someone we disagree with about environmental
issues. We each have a different meaning. For me it means everyone.
Who is not interested in some aspect of their environment? In other
words the label "environmentalist" is almost worthless for communication.

It would be better to talk about specific issues and not label people.

Is language boring? Probably, it is painful to change and think about.
We begin to touch on religion and other values that people don't want
to deal with. If you look at most religions they have begun to move
toward rules and words. Often the original message was one of
love and concern. That gets lost in organizations, rules, and groupings
of people. Take away all the labels and you end up with common
interest and fewer conflicts. No more us against them. Less: "They are
wrong and we are right".

Enough for now, time to go water the corn... Jeff Owens