permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Apartment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles Knoles <charles@growfood.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Apartment
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:38:07 -0500

Hey Y'all

Russ Grayson raised a question a while back about how to do permaculture in urban settings like apartments and such. I thought it was an interesting design challenge but it got lost in the mix with the recent drama. I've been thinking about it and I thought maybe we could all throw in our two cents worth about how it might be done.

There's at least two types of situations that we could think about. Firstly an apartment that has already been built that an urban permy moves into. Therefore windows are not necessarily aligned to the sun, conventional trash disposal procedure, flush toilet etc.

The second situation is where an apartment is designed from scratch to be permacultural, sky's the limit, dream away! Let's assume though that there isn't any growing space around the base of the apartment building.

Russ said something like: "don't assume it's all about food". Russ, can you expand on that so we know what other things you were referring to?

On the other hand if there are cool ways to make food in that circumstance, all the better. --> Raising guinea pigs for meat, fed on mushrooms perhaps????

Peace Out
Charlie Knoles