permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: waiting for Herb (not Bob)]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: elijah smith <elijahs@earthlink.net>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: waiting for Herb (not Bob)]
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:16:36 -0700

elijah smith wrote:

Jeffrey Newman wrote:

Thanks for the warning. I guess I'll watch it closely - pulling out
what I don't want before it goes to seed.

Not being a Spanish-speaker, I used Alta Vista to translate your
closing phrase. This is what they came up with: "That teng taken
care of"

so?? what is a teng?

"Que teng cuidado wid dat stuff!"

What harm is there having that stuff around.

I translated it more along the lines of "Be careful wid dat stuff". But

That's probably more like it.
Cuidado = be careful
Peligro = danger
(both on road signs in Mexico ahead of sharp curves and other dangerous road
conditions)

I'll admit, that's partially contextual. "teng" ain't spanish - I think
it's supposed to be "tengo" meaning "I have".... "que" is "that" or "what"
in a question... and "cuidado" means something like care, careful, be
careful, caution, etc. "que tengo cuidado" doesn't translate gracefully, at
least not to me, but it looks like "I have caution" or "I am cautious of
that" or something.

Maybe we should just ask Rick.

That might be a good idea. Ranger Rick? Hola. Que pasa?

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net