permaculture - Re: [permaculture] waiting for herb

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] waiting for herb
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:19:09 -0700

Nick Routledge wrote:
It's a true geranium, a cranesbill. Easily removed? That just gives new
space for its million seedlings! I've seen the carpet effect in
second-growth forest too. It can render an essential oil, I hear. Once I
tried to flame-weed a gravel path it was covering. The stuff is
vegetable
asbestos! And it loves mulch gardening. Que teng cuidado wid dat stuff!

Rick

Rather quietly, the deep herbalism crowd have been taking texts authored
by Eclectic physicians during the great flowering of botanical medicine
Stateside (durig the mid 1800's thru early 1900's) and putting them on the
web.
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/main.html

is worth a looksee. I look up cranesbill in Kings, the first text linked,
and find:

http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/kings/geranium.html

"deep herbalism crowd" you refer to = Henriette Kress of Finland who did
_all_ of the
above work in the herbmed website at ibiblio. A magnificent effort.

Michael Moore of the Southwest School of Botanical Medicine has been
instrumental in making these texts available. His home page is also tasty.

http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/

n.