permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Apartment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: treaclemine@intranet.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Apartment
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 00:37:32 -0600

Greetings,

I suspect that it is going to be very important to understand
how apartment dwelling can fit into a permaculture designed
settlement, even if the world population does stablize at 10 billion
people. It will be useful to collate the design and solution ideas
which come up on this list, for starters. However, it's obvious that
an apartment cannot be a self-sustaining unit in isolation - the
apartment dwellers will need some kind of community gardening at the
very least.

Is there anyone on the list who is a permaculturist in an
apartment? I always find real case studies to be the most interesting
learning tool :-)

The idea of growing guinea pigs could be problematic, as there
will be lots of by-products to be dealt with, and possible health risks
too. Could a composting worm bin deal with all of these?

Thanks,

Amanda in the UK

--
treaclemine@intranet.org