permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re:The American view of the world

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re:The American view of the world
  • Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:35:41 -0600

At 05:26 PM 12/9/02 +0100, you wrote:
hi mark n' bob:

let me jump in here, and try myself on the connection of reproductive work
and pc, as i understand it:

> Obviously "reproductive work" is important and should be better
> that over time (unions would do these folks a world of good). How this
> relates to PC except tangentially is missing me.

> this distinction you are making, I guess I don't understand it very
> well. Is it just that the nature of child rearing is different than the
> nature of widget manufacture? How does such a distinction really help
> anybody?

if we stay with reproductive work rather than productive work, we have zero
growth and economic/environmental (maybe not social) sustainability right
away. when big bill says "sitting on our doorsteps, all we need to lead a
good life is before our eyes" (or sum such) - this is about reproductive
work. in its core pc is about subsistence - and subsistence is mainly
reproductive work - watching the things grow, maybe helping them with it a
bit, and using them up, and pooing back into the cycle - small life, nothing
special, no big projects, just getting by. doing the essentials to keep your
clan fed and housed, and have as much free fun as you can get with your
spouse, friends and neighbours. all the rest is more or less destructive.

Well thats a bit more clear, thank you georg. Isn't there a little need for some surplus, at least to bank for a bad year? I guess I don't see all the rest being destructive per se, perhaps questionable as to ones need for such.

the big project left for us is: how to get there from where we are now?

georg

Ya! Bingo! We compete with a very slick and glitzy critter, best not to underestimate it's charm.