permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #392 - 5 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #392 - 5 msgs
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:14:16 -0800

GlobalCirclenet wrote:

A different question, but I'd like to know how much rainfall those poplars
need, esp if the water table is too low to help.

That is the situation mine are growing in, low water table but rich soil, well drained. Mine are planted midway along a long slope so they get a lot of
runoff; this is why I suggested planting them above a swale or berm on a
slope.
If on flat ground build some sort of earth containmant to catch runoff and mulch well. My impression is that poplars are somewhat drought resistant if they are surrounded by plants providing shade, to increase soil moisture. They are very vigorous growers and I would recommend planting them for shade, windbreak,
nectar for bees and ornamental landscape purposes. So what if they lack moisture to grow large, they will still serve a very useful purpose. I would interplant them with cedars, eleagnus, blueberries, comfrey with clover and low weeds for ground cover within deep mulch.

That should keep you busy.

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net