permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #392 - 5 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #392 - 5 msgs
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:28:42 -0600

At 10:58 AM 11/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
Would you permaculture experts and enthusiasts think these big tall trees
about 30' apart would be of any help amidst about 5-10 acres of vegetable
and herb and flower crops? Would some shade help with moisture containment
or am I 'barking up the wrong tree'? Sounds feasible to me (intercropping)
although I've never seen it done. We could always prune any trees to get a
certain amount of shading it seems.

Your friend,

Johnny Gregory
Greensboro, NC

I would evaluate the shade VS the wind break you pick up with the trees which can help veggie production. In other words thin or prune to balance the needs of your site. These poplar won't last all that long, I would start looking into replacements and get them planted sooner rather than later.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK