permaculture - [permaculture] Harare PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J. Hobbs" <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Harare PC
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:49:59 -0800

Hello,
I have been somewhat of a guide to the project described below. As a bit of background: the evolution of becoming involved with Zimbabwe is centered around the Shona music that was originally brought to the United States by Dumi in the Since that time, active communities around the States have sponsored teachers of the music to come perform and instruct in the beautiful music of Imbira and marimba. Nhimbe for Progress came about because one individual Jaiain Beck wanted to 'give back' to the Zimbabweans and their families and many of us in the community chose to join her in her efforts.

"We are part of a non-profit working in the Mhondoro region of rural Zimbabwe
which has a goal to be permaculture based in all project developments
possible. Ancient Ways, a non-profit (501(c)3) organization, is dedicated
to learning from and preserving traditional ways of indigenous peoples.
Nhimbe for Progress is their community project working with rural
Zimbabweans to: 1) improve sub-standard living conditions such as
re-building collapsed huts that were destroyed by the floods, building
wells, toilets and fuel efficient stoves, providing medical assistance; 2)
offer business opportunity to poor rural Zimbabweans, and 3) sponsor
children who are unable to attend school because they cannot afford the
necessary fees ($35/yr.), provide teaching materials to schools, establish a
pre-school program, 4) create a community fund to help with the special
needs of the elderly, infants, and orphans.

Our hope is to teach permaculture concepts to the villagers to offer ways to 'close the loops'.
We are looking for individuals who would be interested in working with this group. Jaiain Beck, who is based in Oregon will be traveling back to Zimbabwe in January. See www.ancient-ways.org.