permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Agroforestry Project Requests Help

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Agroforestry Project Requests Help
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:53:30 -0500

Hello Jaime,

Where in the Highlands are you working? I worked in Huehuetenango during
'90 and '91 implementing agroforestry projects with the U.S. Peace Corps.
Specifically we worked just below the Cuchomotanes in a small town called
Sibila and the surrounding villages.

We worked in five different communities and started seven small tree
nurseries each with varying degrees of success.

I believe also that Marsha Hanzi was / is very involved with agroforestry on
a grass roots level.

>> What topics do you touch in a first meeting with farmers? <<

Let them know about who you are. Bring pictures of your family and friends,
of where you live. If you have a talent share it with them after a
meeting - music, weaving, cooking, wood carving, anything. Encourage them
to do the same. They're very intersted in who you REALLY are, your family
and where you come from.

Be ready to part with or share some of your belongings too. Some volunteers
couldn't stand it when a previous volunteer had been generous with a
community because it sets up expectations for the replacement volunteer.
But looking back on my experience, I wish I had left every pair of shoes,
pants, radios and trinkets I had with the communities I worked with. Be
judicious of course, but it's all about give and take.

You also have to earn the trust of the farmers. They've been manipulated
and misled by many, many ingenieros (people with university degrees in
science). Have you hired a counter part, someone local who is known of by
the communities in which you are working?

Many projects and ingenieros come and go, point and promise, and the people
need to understand what will be left when you are gone. It was very hard
when I left the Highlands, there was a lot of resistance and uncertainty to
deal with for the new volunteer who replaced me, but at least there was
someone to replace me.

Also, be ready to deliver what you promise. Do someting up front like
bringing in 100 fruit trees to plant straight away. We had problems
officially establishing our nursery groups since they all had to be formally
registered with the government. We couldn't even get hoses or fencing
material for the first year of operation because nobody wanted to be
officially registered as the president or treasurer of a group they knew
nothing about!

It took us a year of working without any materials from our budget before
people trusted us enough to put their names on any official documentation.
Of course the regional coordinators were all issued brand new Cherokee Jeeps
before the project even began and were instructed not to give anyone a lift
for liability purposes, but they gave rides anyway. How could you not give
someone a ride who might be walking five miles to attend one of our
meetings?

We also spent many nights out in the remote villages where we worked. To
have the gringo ingeniero sleeping on a pile of corn in the corner with rats
scurrying overhead was a big treat for the members of our groups. It showed
I trusted them enough to live like them and stay with them in their
environs. And some of those nights up there were the best in my life...

And finally, make it clear that you are offering them something that they
all agree that they need - lena (fire wood), fruit trees, access to
education for ALL interested not just the patrons, and possibly entry into
paying positions if available. I was never into the ideology that they
should be so self motivated that they should be willing to do everything for
nothing.

>> What kind of structure should this farmer's group create as a solid
foundation for present and future work? <<

Well we began with existing structures since we had such a hard time
initially getting folks to join our group. The acecias (irrigation canals)
were managed by a group that would be there when we were gone. Also the
local farmer's cooperatives were active and permanent. So we tied into
these groups and encouraged their leaders to help us with our objectives and
provide us with hoses, fencing and watering shifts in the viveros
(nurseries).

One thing I would have liked to see more of, however, would have been
encouraging new leadership. Some of the young men and women were very eager
to help but all of the paying positions went to someone who was already in a
position of leadership. There was lots of paternalism and some resentment
towards the existing leadership always scooping up new positions and cuello
(clout).

Also, involve the women as much as possible. All of our viveros (the ones
large enough, that is) were available for the women to plant cut flowers and
marketable produce. The women were very reliable and helped with watering,
weeding and pest control.

>> How do you set up a participatory problem analysis meeting? What
techniques have proven effective? <<

Give many charlas (small talks or presentations) and let them offer their
advice and input at the end. Offer up what you think the problems and
solutions are and then hear them out regarding what they think the problems
and solutions are. Give their input the same weight as you would your
project director's. In many cases what they really want is a soccer field,
or a refrigerator for vaccines, or a teacher for the abandoned school, or
better books for existing teachers, or an improved road for trucks to access
the village. You can't successfully promote agroforestry if the community
is in dire straights about some other issue.

Attempt to help them on as many fronts as possible. Tie into existing
projects whenever possible. The U.S. Peace Corps, CARE, and the Guatemalan
Forestry Service have been very active in many parts of the Highlands.

Ice breakers at the beginning of meetings are fun and effective. My
favorite, was one where we put up hand drawn pictures of several tools on
the wall. The group breaks up and each person stands by the picture of
their favorite tool. Then each person introduces themselves and talks for a
bit about why this is their favorite tool. Mine was a pick, because you
could break through many things with it that nothing else could get through.
I think now I prefer a shovel because picks are so much darned work to use -
as is any tool you have to swing over your head. With a shovel you can
apply weight and leverage, save energy and save your back.

After courses a diploma should be given. It makes folks feel like they've
achieved something and have something to remind them of what they've done
and the new knowledge they now have.

Good luck and let us hear from you again soon.

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html