permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Old trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Old trees
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Wait until winter and prune pretty aggressively...

If you want to get really into pruning just about anything you can
think of, I recommend "The Pruning Book" by Lee Reich. Teaches you
pruning and plant growth basics and concepts, tool info and care, and
goes on to give overall details on various plant families and within
that extra tips for specific plants within families.

> Save some of the wood, great for smoking meat or peppers.

Absolutely! Also excellent firewood, if you're cutting stuff that big.
Season it for a year first, though. Burns hot and slow.

As to the berry vines - they love being cut back, it stimulates their
growth...what kind? If they're a kind that grows from a clumped root
ball, you can (slowly and steadily... ;-) remove them, root clump by
root clump. Cut back to find root clump, then dig it out. Repeat.

Grazing/trampling can keep the berry vines from returning.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA