permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: PCPlantDB mailing lists

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: PCPlantDB mailing lists
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 01:49:39 -0700

Richard Morris wrote:

pcplantdb-data
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb-data
pcplantdb-tech
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb-tech

Yep, I would like to keep the mailing list up and running.
Don't know if the project is sufficiently far advanced to warrant the two sub lists (-tech and -data).

The main list for the DB project will remain online permanently.
pcplantdb
pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/pcplantdb/ archives

In my mind the project is still going its just taken a long time
for me to find time to do work on it.

In the interim Chad Knepp has posted expressing interest in the PCPlantDB
(or PcPlantDb, WikiName version,
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/PcPlantDb).
His post is in the archives at this location:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2002-September/001600.html

What I've not done is any spec for that actual data to be recorded
about any particular plant. I feel that this is really for
the discussion of the group rather something to be imposed. Hence
I've concentrated on what might be the core underlying framework
which allows others to really develop the data structure.

We've also been in discussion in PFAF about our licensing policy
and every one seems to like the two path development, where
we have one path completely open source (with some restrictions
on selling our data) which would be the pcplantdb, the other path is
a commercial product (with pictures added) to raise some money
for our project. Upshot of this is its looking more likely for
a basic dataset to get pcplantdb up and running.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to get the basic framework running
on the metalab machines so you can't yet see what I've done so far.
I'll have another stab at getting the working system up and running in the next couple of days. Very very draft, be warned.

Rich,

Your work is nothing short of phenomenal. What a pleasant surprise
to hear about all the new work you been doing and new direction it
is taking. If you are able to put together what you've described it
will have a major impact on permaculture education and the permaculture
community.

I have endorsed using the Permaculture Wiki as an easy-to-use tool for
getting raw information
and photos online within an interesting framework, thoroughly hyperlinked
within and without.
I propose that we use this as a staging area to collect data that you, the
PFAF staff and others
eventually put into the PCPlantDB. Heidi and her SOUL group could follow the
same procedure.

You could always install your own PfafWiki in your html account on ibiblio.
This way you'd
have access to the filesystem and can give it the look and feel you want as
well as manage uploaded files.
Ibiblio would probably give you an ftp upload account if you think you'll
need it. See my previous message
about how it works.
I'd be glad to guide you throught the complete easy process of procuring the
software, installing,
configuring and tweaking it. For starters here's the download location:
I recommend PHPWiki over the other platforms.
http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/demo/ (see download links at bottom of page)
The bugfree version is:
1.3.3
The nightly CVS snapshot is:
1.3.4pre and may have bugs
The developers/users mailing list is:
Phpwiki-talk mailing list
Phpwiki-talk@lists.sourceforge.net
... very helpful in getting your wiki running and finding out about new
features, problems, plugins and upgrades

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web: http://www.pfaf.org/ := http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/
Snail: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org PFAF electronic mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf

LL
--