permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Old trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Old trees
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:21:47 -0500

At 08:57 PM 10/6/02 +0200, you wrote:
I have a walnut tree on my hill.
I don't know how old the tree is. How can I find out?
What is the lifespan of walnut tree?

You could take a core out of it, a 2-3 mm round piece extracted from the trunk, then you count the rings. Probably not worth the effort IMO.

I also have an old orchard (old trees, some ten years without pruning and
quite overgrown in wild blackberries and , but very alive). There are some
"oldfashioned" apples and pears and I would like to recover them if
possible.
How to recover an old fruit tree?
Wait until winter and prune pretty aggressively. I like to start with a chain saw or similar tool and cut the center right out of it (hard to explain on paper WO pictures) Your goal is to get light and air to all branches and get most of your apple limbs more less horizontal as these will be fruiting. also take out dead wood and crossing limbs (rubs). You may need to weight down some limbs to get the shape your looking for. You can safely take about 1/3 rd of the wood off. If you have not pruned before it's probably worth your time to prune with someone who has experience, it's not rocket science but it does have some tricks and technique. Lastly, don't be afraid to just read up and go for it if it's getting late in winter, it grows back after all.

Save some of the wood, great for smoking meat or peppers.

Any similar experiences?
(it is autumn where I live now, in a month or so, quite cold winter.. as a
reference to what can be done in next month or two)

Thank you
Jasminka