permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Old trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Alex Williams" <alexisw@supanet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Old trees
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:38:01 +0100

The Tree Council recommend a quick calculation for ageing a tree as:

Measure girth in cm at chest height (1.5m from ground) and divide by

Trees in Woods or Solitary Trees
1.88 2.2
Oaks, Sweet Chestnut & Lime
2.5 3.2
Hazel, Ash, Elm & Beech
2.75 3.5
Sycamore
1.25 1.75
Holly
3.13 4.0
Pine or Spruce

Walnut isn't mentioned but I would guess that the Oak etc category would
suffice.

Alex