permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:23:42 -0500

I once bought 3 carob seeds for $5, sounds like an expensive proposition to
me.

Yes, giant knotweed can be a godzilla of a plant. I'd treat it with the same
respect that I give to comfrey, black locust, evening primrose, quack grasss
etc & at least here it spreads very much in the same way as comfrey,
suckering
out from where it is originally planted. Anytime you excavate or dig more
than a foot deep in the soil you would also be spreading it around.

Makes a great browse for goats & sheep tho we did have a problem at one time
with our goats over-eating from it & getting bloat. We solved that by
harvesting bundles & feeding the goats in the pen.

mIEKAL