permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:10:33 -0500

the young shoots can be stirfried or marinated in lemon & oil....

here we harvest the stalks after the freeze but before the really cold weather
sets in. each joint has a membrane between it, which are removed so that a
closed
tube is created. the stalks (which we also call mock bamboo) can then be
dried &
cured within a month or so. They arent quite so durable as bamboo but I have
several sets of panpipes that are 10 years old & Ive gotten a lot of use out
of
them. also one could fashion wind chimes, whistles & claves out of them.
all you
need are a couple gourd guitars & you have yourself a vegetable band.

mIEKAL

Heide Hermary wrote:

> Which part do you stirfry? Also, do the flutes last for any length of time
> or
> do they disintegrate as quickly as the stalks left to decay over the winter?
> I have a couple of big clumps and quite like them, even though they are
> considered an invasive weed here. Nice flowers and dense canopy for
> privacy.

they also wreck havoc on old foundations. around here it was planted in the
50s
as a "touch of the orient" & on one of our properties it covers half the
property.