permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Guerrilla gardens
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:17:49 -0700

Which part do you stirfry? Also, do the flutes last for any length of time or
do they disintegrate as quickly as the stalks left to decay over the winter?
I have a couple of big clumps and quite like them, even though they are
considered an invasive weed here. Nice flowers and dense canopy for privacy.

But frankly, getting unwanted vegetation growing in sidewalk cracks etc. will
just lead to more pesticide use by those who find that unsightly, especially
with hard to eradicate rhizomatous shrubs like these. Maybe a little
discretion
is advised. Some people will stop at nothing to eradicate some plants.

I am always amazed how people can justify the huge environmental impact of
bulldozers and poisons to get rid of the little old blackberry that does such
good job at inhabiting disturbed sites, containing erosion, providing food and
habitat, and replenishing soil. I cleared a small patch of them in my
backyard,
you should see the fantastic humus that built up underneath them!

Heide