permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Busting Up Sidewalks / Invasive Plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Busting Up Sidewalks / Invasive Plants
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:36:46 -0700

> Usually, I try to avoid swinging a
> sledge hammer or wielding a pry-bar.
>
> Kirby

Laudably American attitude! I myself usually try to pick the *easier* way.
Is it easier to shlep a power drill and cord or gasoline, or sling an 8lb
sledge on a smooth hickory handle? (don't go for fiberglas!) I won't even go
into what idiocy it is to waste a jackhammer on un-reinforced 3.5 inch slab!
Power tools hidden cost include white finger disease, hearing loss,
isolation (vs working in a team singing, one of Uncle Bill's favorites) and
not to forget the upfront cost. And the results- busted rubble or cracked
hardpan vs reusable "urbanite"...
-Rick