permaculture - [permaculture] Turning Deserts into Woodlands

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Turning Deserts into Woodlands
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:37:55 -0500

Hi Lawrence,

>> I wonder how cedar and eleagnus would do there? Putting forests where
there was only desert or grassland before encourages more rainfall. <<

Maybe some of those Lebanese cedars would do well too.

I would love to study and better understand the relationship between
precipitation and vegetative covers. I've always repeated what I've learned
in Pc courses about the trees generating rainfall further inland and I'm
always on the lookout for other sources and conclusive examples.

I recently flipped through an old National Geographic where they were
covering a Mojave Desert restoration project where one of their main
activities was going around and pulling up non-native tamaresk trees because
they were "thirsty" and concentrated salts in their leaf litter.

>> There is a Sahara project that is doing something like this; they're on
the Web - I may have a link to it. A documentary on PBS TV, maybe a Bill
Moyers special, showed how a large lake in Africa was drying up due to lack
of rainfall. The cause was massive deforestation nearby; clearcut logging.
<<

I would love to hear more about that.

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html