permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Pc and large scale farms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "jamie nicol" <jamie@tiscali.fr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Pc and large scale farms
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:04:34 +0200

History does afford the occasional view that pierces the carapace of modern
self-satisfaction. Too rare unfortunately for most to sit up and take note.

As far as revegetating the Sahara, I suspect it will happen (is already
happening? - having just seen Lawrence's latest post). I know the Egyptian
part quite well (at least I did a few years ago) and saw the rising waters
of Lake Nasser reaching ever more into the desert, sometimes along canals
already dug with the occasional incongruous bridge spanning an as yet dry
sand bed. Fukuoka has become more absorbed with the fight against the
encroaching desert in Africa and on the Southern Margins of Europe (The
Southern Europe Greenbelt Project used to be found at www.mir.org , does
anyone have a more current URL?) and a persuasive planting regime is
included at the back of The Natural Way of Farming - I'd certainly be
interested in hearing if a project using his techniques had been started in
North Africa.

As to a synthesis? Everything is politics. But then every action we have
ever done, do and will do is politics. Action at every level toward
sustainable agriculture...I know, I know, I still haven't begun to answer
your question.

Jamie
Souscayrous