permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pc and large scale farms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pc and large scale farms
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:31:13 -0500

Hi Jamie,

Wow, what a post! It's hard for us to fathom at times just how many ag
systems have already arisen and fallen. It's like the author of Ishmael
says, when you jump off a cliff there is the illusion of flight and great
progress until you hit the ground.

I really enjoyed visualizing the scenes you set around ancient Rome. North
Africa was once the bread basket of the Roman Empire. Now it is regarded as
one of the fiercest deserts in the world. I would rather see it revegetated
with invasive exotic trees than remain as a desert.

So what is your synthesis of all of this? Do we try to derail modern ag,
catch a ride or sit by on the sidelines cultivating our Pc gardens as it
hurtles by?

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html