permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 23:44:00 +0100

Hi again, Frank,
you were right about my off the cuff remarks. I have no idea how much
labour would be involved or the size of the debris (well I do now...).
If you are on your own this would be a mega task. It just occured to me
that it might be an idea if you have to move the stuff anyway you might
as well put it to some use more or less in situ.
I have often been myself at a point of, oh wow that's a good idea, and
then realising all the BUTs.
It's always easy to make suggestions, and much harder to do the actual
work.
Taking on 450 acres on your own is some brave thing to do and you have
my sincere admiration. I only have 2.5 and often don't know where to
start...

Another thing I meant to reply to from one of your posts a few days ago:
(this may or not be of any use, as it relates to the European
situation): Re paddocks and paddock sizes. I have an excellent German
organic farming handbook which puts it this way:
If paddocks are to rest for 30 days between grazing, and the cattle
spend 3 days in each paddock you will need 10 paddocks + 1 'current
paddock' + 2 reserve paddocks which can also be cut for hay or silage.
If a large paddock size is chosen, e.g. if each paddock is strip grazed,
and the cattle remain in each paddock for 5 days, you'll need less
paddocks: 30 days : 5 days/paddock = 6 paddocks + current paddock + 2
reserve paddocks = 9 in total.
The average paddock size per LU (livestock unit (=1 suckler cow)) is
taken as 0.75 m2/day or 225 m2/3 days. The required grazing area is
calculated as
Required # of paddocks x size of paddocks, e.g.
13 paddocks x 225m2/LU = 3000 m2 (0.75 acres)/LU
This figure is rather high but it allows for grass conservation as well.

Perhaps such calculations may help you in figuring out how to partition
your fields. While grass yields and cattle breeds may be very different
where you are I guess the principle stays the same once you have some
baseline figures from your extension agents.
I have done this on an *extremely small* basis for my goats and it works
fine. Without paddocks and strip grazing I'd never be able to feed them
on the same ground otherwise.

HTH
Ute
(who will continue to follow this thread with great interest)