permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:00:50 -0700

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 8/5/02 9:52:42 PM, lfl@intrex.net writes:
First, I'm wondering if the above post is from Larry London?

It is. Had a huge problem with spam and switched ISP's. This is my "work" ID.

<< Also sycamore and river birch, elderberry, maybe black cherry and bayberry (maybe too cold in KY for it). >>

I've got a strip in woods that buffers the creek that varies from 10'to 50' or more.

Lots of elderberry, sycamore,walnuts, wild black cherry( very attrative to

Walnut is a very desirable wood for woodworkers.

tent caterpillars) elderberry, ohio buckeye. Plenty of wild grape vines, and all sorts of other vines as well. Poison ivy, dodder? and a host of other vines that I don't recognize. There is some honey suckle, and trumpet vine too that add nice fragrance.

That's a good array of flora to have, except for the poison ivy. The elderberry and wild grapes can be harvested.

Lots of wildlife ...deer, turkey, rabbits use this area. I'd like to thin some of the areas for beauty/recreation. It's a monumental task but would it be advisable to dump all materials that will break down into these ditches to level areas?

No, unless you have an uncontrollable erosion problem that would benefit from plugging the ditches with brush and logs (this used to be SOP on farms and resulted in the reclamation of much acreage).

--
lfl@intrex.net
http://market-farming.com