permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:48:26 -0500

At 09:19 AM 8/5/02 -0400, you wrote:
When we have heavy rainfalls, or considerable rain fall land can become very
wet, lots of boggy areas in low spots as land runs down to creeks. Also much
of the that acreage is very uneven, though gently sloping. There are some
grown up "islands of smaller trees most less than a foot in diameter. These
provide shade, and beauty to me. I'd rather not such cut 'em down as most
locals advise to improve, and expand pasture, make cultivation with machinery
easier. Some of these areas tend to be especially boggy.

Let them go, improve your uplands if you need more pasture. To balance 70a of bottoms I'd shoot for 50-100a of upland. You may not need to buy it, you can graze cornstalks etc. for some of this.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK