permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, GCreekfarm@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:58:35 EDT

Good day all:)

In a message dated 8/5/02 9:52:42 PM, lfl@intrex.net writes:

First, I'm wondering if the above post is from Larry London?

<< Also sycamore and river birch, elderberry, maybe black cherry and
bayberry (maybe too cold in KY for it). >>

I've got a strip in woods that buffers the creek that varies from 10'to 50'
or more.

Lots of elderberry, sycamore,walnuts, wild black cherry( very attrative to
tent caterpillars) elderberry, ohio buckeye. Plenty of wild grape vines, and
all sorts of other vines as well. Poison ivy, dodder? and a host of other
vines that I don't recognize. There is some honey suckle, and trumpet vine
too that add nice fragrance.

There are a good number of willows ...not as many as I have in other areas!
These willows seem to be relatively short lived, and weak. Once they get over
a foot or so in diameter sometimes less they seem to break, fall over or die
back.

I've also got some river bamboo( Giant Arundinaria?). In this strip there are
several drainage channels that rise up and down along the creek's banks on
the eastern side. Western side is steep, and has exposed limestone ridge.

In summer growth is rank. Most of stuff dies back in winter so you can get
around far more easily then:)

Lots of wildlife ...deer, turkey, rabbits use this area. I'd like to thin
some of the areas for beauty/recreation. It's a monumental task but would it
be advisable to dump all materials that will break down into these ditches to
level areas?

Look forward to your thoughts. Frank