permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:14:54 -0500

Have you considered piling all that stuff into 'deadwood windrows'? They
can be used to create new hedgerows with all the benefits hedgerows
give. Takes some years (birds roost, drop seed with faeces), but can
also be speeded up by planting saplings in amongst the debris where they
are sheltered from browsing cows.

This part I like. You might want to invest in a "land leveler" or at least big ole bucket for the front end loader with a pair of those grabbing forks to move big piles of junk. Might look at using some of your poor spots in the pastures as a dumping area for this stuff. Through the years more float sum should accumulate there, especially if you anchor it in place with sheep wire and posts (you know, fence!)

As for plantings along the creek I would think willows are a
particularly suitable species.
Willow thrives in wet conditions, is quick growing and has a very high
proportion of root
mass, making it particularly suitable for ground stabilisation. It also
tolerates flooding and willow shoots are easily obtained and planted
(simply stuck in the ground during dormancy).

Just off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Ute

I wouldn't use willows. While they are a good tree for this application, they will catch junk and make pasture management harder. Plant it to grass, graze it carefully, watch it constantly and enjoy it. Let the Joe pie weed and bone set fill in for late summer color....

ps Sounds like you got a wonderful place there!

Amen!