permaculture - Re: creating online plant database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <lorenstwin@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creating online plant database
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:05:38 -0800 (PST)

--- keller <ak.and.ak@on-line.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just one idea that comes to my mind. There are good internet links
> about
> many plants. There should be a possibility to assign a number of
> links to a
> plant. So there could be a URL-table in the database (in relational
> terms,
> this should be modeled as an n:m-relationship, one plant can have
> several
> URLs, and one of these could be linked to several plants).

Excellent idea. I've been getting a lot of my info on specific plants
by searching with Google for either the Latin or common name of the
plant, then printing out the two or three best pages/sites I find for
reference. If this is going to be an online database, the amount of
data stored in it could be reduced somewhat by incorporating links in
this manner.

Similarly, it might be possible to include links to nurseries that sell
specific plants, with no inference of endorsing said sites, when it is
possible to acquire those plants in that manner. At the very least,
I'd recommend including a "how to acquire this plant" field for each
plant record, as well as "how to propagate."

Loren

=====
Loren Davidson Permaculturist, poet, rapturist, writer
loren@farwalker.com | http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
"The spirits are using me/larger voices callin'." - Stills/Curtis/Curtis,
"Southern Cross"