permaculture - Re: creating online plant database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creating online plant database
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:14:57 +0100

> I'm wary of rampancy/noxious classifications for wide-use DB's as these
> factors can vary so much place to place depending on soil, climate and
> other factors

good thought, but still i feel the rampancy/noxious classifications info
would be valuable, IF: more detailed info is given, on WHERE and IN WHAT WAY

- also need to know why they're 'noxious' - in Australia
> there are many declared noxious plants are not a problem other than
> cattle or sheep don't like eating them.

but exactly this is giving them an advantage in competing with the rest on
all habitually overgrazed paddocks (=80% of oz?) - so since it is
dreamlandish to say "lets just stop raising hoofy animals in australia to
get rid of this rampancy-problem" anyone intending to work with a plant that
has high potential to turn into an "obnoxious weed" on his neighbours
property should know about this.

>A noxious weed in one area can be
> an endangered native somewhere else.

which greatly supports the point of multiple entries, with the source of the
entry and the geografical area this refers to.

georg