permaculture - Re: Riddle... answer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rex Teague" <DibbleGardens@bigfoot.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Riddle... answer
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:48:28 +1200

Too hard eh? 8<)

The "Rose of Sharon" thread triggered my recollection of the rhyme
but I didn't include it there because that would have made it too
easy... or so I thought!?

> We are five brothers at the same time born
> Two of us have beards; by two no beards are worn
> While one, lest he should give his brothers pain
> Hath one side bearded and the other plain.

Answer as given:
The above is an English version of a medieval Latin riddle. It refers to
the sepals of the British wild roses those belonging to section caninae.
Two of these have lobes on one side only.

This curious arrangement is best seen on a green unripe rose-hip just
after flowering; in most cases the sepals soon fall off when the hips
get ripe.

Observation:
Examination by the children here, has shown that the phenomena
applies to many types of roses. It is more apparent in some than
others.

Cheers... Rex

  • Re: Riddle... answer, Rex Teague, 11/08/2001