permaculture - Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thilo Pfennig <vinci@alternativ.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...
  • Date: 28 Jul 1999 02:13:44 +0200

Permacltur@aol.com writes:

> In my opinion, it is unethical for anyone to start another global
> permaculture directory without the approval of IPJ. There is a really
> strong
> ethic in permaculture that we do not undercut one another and do not
> compete
> with one another or duplicate one another's work.
> Furthermore, we have already been told that any online listing
> undercuts
> the printed product.

Are you crazy? You say permaculture-ethics mean, that all of us should
help the IPJ-directory to be sold in printed version, while we provide
them with the information? And that if we make our own listings that
would undercut their efforts? If that would be the case, there only
should be one pc-book, and we can call it the pc.bible , maybe it
would be "a designers manual" ?

> Therefore, people without online access, which is the
> vast majority of world population, may not get access to ANY directory.
> It
> is an obvious fact of publishing that you need a certain base level of
> demand
> to bother with the work and cost of producing a printed document.

What do we bother about the income of the IPJ? Do they bother about my
income or expense? I tell you what: If the pay my expenses, we can
talk about it....

> I once heard Bill extoll the wisdom of letting the person who has taken
> on the job make the critical decisions. I felt that it was a good policy
> then; and I feel it is a good policy in this case.

It is (in my eyes) en effort against nature, if we try to let only a
view people earn money with a common good.

I totally disagree with your statement. Sorry.

Vinci.

--
Thilo Pfennig
<http://Alternativ.Net/>