permaculture - Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:28:42 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/99 10:53:59 AM, hanzibra@svn.com.br writes:

<<A directory, once printed, is already out of date , so an online
directory makes more
sense.. I can understand that maybe they don't want the extra work without
some sort
of remuneration-- maybe the directory will have to be made somewhere else by
someone
else... That seems pretty much a job in itself...
Marsha
Bahia, Brazil>>

Marsha:
In my opinion, it is unethical for anyone to start another global
permaculture directory without the approval of IPJ. There is a really strong
ethic in permaculture that we do not undercut one another and do not compete
with one another or duplicate one another's work.
Furthermore, we have already been told that any online listing undercuts
the printed product. Therefore, people without online access, which is the
vast majority of world population, may not get access to ANY directory. It
is an obvious fact of publishing that you need a certain base level of demand
to bother with the work and cost of producing a printed document.
I once heard Bill extoll the wisdom of letting the person who has taken
on the job make the critical decisions. I felt that it was a good policy
then; and I feel it is a good policy in this case.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu