permaculture - Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:49:25 -0300

I don't think there is a real conflict here. I understood that the IPJ is
not doing
the on-line directory probably because that is a lot of unpaid work, which is
understandable. There is certainly an argument for a printed directory for
those who
have no e-mail access, which is rapidly becomeing fewer and fewer, even here
in
Brazil. But a printed directory does not make much sense to those who DO
have e-mail
access, as, as I pointed out, they soon become outdated . And I agree
totally with
you -- they are very expensive and time-consuming to put out, and the people
who go to
the trouble have great difficulty even getting back what they put into it,
much less
earn money from it.
And I also agree both with you, Dan ( people should be justly paid for
their
efforts by others who can do so) and April ( that there is no danger of
reducing
abundance by sharing when we can, that we create a flow which eventually
returns to
us).
I understand that Bill meant with
"sharing" that we would not hoard. I understand that this would mean
confidence in
the flow, but still giving each one of us the right to be paid when that is
important,
and to possess what we feel necessary for our life.But I also understand that
it means
to not withhold information. Thats how I understand and apply this principle.
To say
that we cannot have an on-line directory because it will be printed somewhere
consider to be withholding information, and unethical...But I understand and
hope you
are not actually saying this.
I am not proposing to undercut the people at the journal-- I am just
proposing that
continuing an on-line global directory in an organized way somewhere, since
they no
longer care to do it, is a most useful tool for all of us...It makes no sense
to have
to order a book, wait a month -- or three in my case-- besides all the work
and expense
that that entails for all of us, for something we could have immediately on
line ( an
address, a contact).

Marsha