pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] hosting

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] hosting
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:12:12 -0600

John Schinnerer wrote: I'm also really curious why most everyone else seems to agree (by silence if nothing else) that we must go with ibiblio, and why no one else has bothered to offer any more information to substantiate that claim.
--snip--

I have used IBIBLIO for the past 7 or 8 years, since I was dumped by IGC and they haven't cost me a dime. I stayed with them because they host the kind of people and projects that I support and I haven't seen any other server that does the same. From the brief blurbs I read from their staff and teachers I have perceived they are edge dwellers and I am comfortable with that crowd. They host more permaculture stuff than any other place I know and the pc grads. and other pc interested folks come to IBIB first when they are looking for information. I also like the fact that they support open source software, and have done so, not because it is very good (LINUX) but because they are philosophically aligned with open source. All in all they seem the right choice.

If you add to that that noone had made a compelling argument against IBIB, except that they don't support a particular piece of software.

Maybe a bad case of groupthink. In which case I am doing my job as test curmudgeon by challenging it.

Methinks thou dost protest too much...

Scott