pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] hosting

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] hosting
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:14:02 +1000

At 8:34 PM +0000 23/8/04, John Schinnerer wrote:

>I'm also really curious why most everyone else seems to agree (by
>silence if nothing else) that we must go with ibiblio, and why no one
>else has bothered to offer any more information to substantiate that claim.

I'm with John S.

Seems to me that ibiblio offer none of the infrastructure that this
project wants... zope, bugzilla, unfettered database access etc.
The only thing they do offer that is useful is this mailing list :)

I also think that a lot of the stuff that Lawrence is bringing up
is completely irrelevant to the immediate goals of this group...
which are to cut code that allows Joe Public to input and to search
in marvellous ways data about plants and perhaps other elements of
permaculture systems.

While it's interesting to gaze into a crystal ball to see what might
happen in the future and to try to plan two years ahead, it's all totally
irrelevant. The funds have been granted to develop this code therefore
this code must be developed.

It's the code and the database content that is the asset of this project,
and as long as it's backed up properly there is no reason why it can't be
hosted on any server that offers the required infrastructure.

Register a domain name, use it for everything and if your preferred
host goes bust then you just use your backup to re-establish the
system somewhere else. It's annoying to have to do so, but not the
end of the world. The hosting location is barely more relevant to this
project than the phone lines we all use to connect to the internet.

I'm sure there are several people on this list who would donate either
machine space or funding to rent a "virtual linux server" for the
purposes of developing this code. And once the code is up and running
additional funding can be sought to establish a permanent hosting
platform.

In fact as I understand it John H has already made such an offer, so
what's holding things up??

...R.